Wednesday, June 4, 2008

WFMW: Summertime, Kids and Working Moms

Shannon over at Rocks in my Dryer is asking for suggestions for entertaining kids during the summer. I'm eager to hear some good ones myself, because as a parent to an only child, I often am called on to play. And can I just say that after several days of playing H-O-R-S-E with Logan's new basketball hoop, I'm about to lose my mind.

As a working mom, my suggestion is to sign you kid(s) up with a good Summer Camp Program. I'm excited about the one we chose for Logan for a couple of reasons.

For one thing they have themed weeks with activities and field trips to compliment. And the field trips aren't lame Chuckee Cheese outings either. These kids are going to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Great Wolf Lodge, Wilderness Adventure and other really cool places. So that is fabulous in my opinion and Logan should be pretty worn out by the time I pick him up at 4:45pm every night.

The thing that sealed the deal for me, however, is that lunch is provided. I hate packing lunches with ever fiber of my being. But I do it every day and I do it with love. Except for this summer. When I get a much deserved break. (Well, except that I'll still be packing my husband's.) (Every day.) (For the rest of my life.)

When we get home from work and school/day camp we like to play outside. In addition to games like H-O-R-S-E (I'm assuming everyone knows this game. Here's a link for those who don't), we also play 4-Square (link provided. You're welcome.), Tennis, Ride Bikes and Search for Bugs.

We'll also invite his cousin over to play. That gives me a break from having to keep up with my almost six year old, and gives Sassy some alone time with Boogs.

But you know what my kid really likes? Projects. He's like his daddy and wants to be productive. So I'll have him clean out my car. Or help me cook dinner. Or organize my Tupperware cupboard. Or weed the garden. He digs that. And, well...I like to watch BRAVO and sit in the sun and read. So it works out really well for both of us.

If you want more suggestions, go see Shannon.



What's that? You want to comment? Just click on the itty-bitty words below that say "Gimme Some Sugar". Can you see them? Good. We can't wait to chat with you.

7 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

Those last suggestions are great. Unfortuneatley my kids have caught on to this. :)

Mrs. Bargain Hunting Wife said...

You must be in the Traverse City area! (I live in Cadillac, so I'm familar with those places). We went to the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes on our honeymoon, they were so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Fortunately my toddler hasn't caught on to those last suggestions. She's content to help mommy moving cheerios from one bowl to another, and then another...Thanks for sharing!

Ashlee said...

Summer is SO hard for child entertaining. My kids are almost 6 years apart and so it's hard for them to find things they can do together. Baking is something that we do together, and bike rides. My son loves to read, so he will do that a lot. We have friends over a lot too. It entertains both my kids, and I am free to do whatever I want. Which is nice. Kids seem to get bored SO quickly now. For me, when it was summer I played board games, jumped on the trampoline, read books, and was able to have fun without feeling bored. It's kind of frustrating....

Anonymous said...

I love four square!! I tried to teach my kids a few years ago and I think they were too young, but I need to try again. My kids won't clean their room, but they do like 'projects' with me. Scrubbing down cupboards is a favorite...weird but helpful! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have found the best summer day camp and have been lucky that my dd loves going each summer. I get the month of August off so we spend that doing little projects and stuff together. The best thing we did was buy a good size inflatable pool for the backyard. Its great because I don't have to trudge to the pool or beach all the time, even better I can float in a floaty chair and read a book on those really hot days.

Jen said...

This is for middle-school aged children and up, but many YMCAs have Youth Volunteer Corps programs, which are often free or minimal tuition, where the kids go out each day and do a different service project together. It's a wonderful program!

Also, if you have an 826 program in your area, they will give free writing courses, programs and drop-in sessions.

Another huge favorite is taking a net from the dollar store and heading down to a creek and seeing what "wildlife" you can find.

And don't forget geocaching!