Friday, March 7, 2008

Fight the Frump: Dress For Your Body (not mine)


Today's Frump Fighting Tips come from my beautiful (would you just look at her over there!) and fashion-savvy niece Rachie Roo. She's Sister Big's middle child and considers me her favorite aunt. (Sssshhhh. Don't tell Sassy.) (Or Seven, Auquafina, Redd, Mary Elephant Sunshine, etc). They might have hurt feelings.

I don't pretend to always know what trends to follow. (Or how to do my hair. But we'll save that for next week.) I usually call Sister Big for advice. Big watches What Not to Wear religiously and seems to think she can guide me like a true fashion consultant. But I know the truth.

I'm pretty sure Big gets on the phone with Rachie who then gives her the answers to my pathetic questions about trouser jeans and whatnot. Sister Big calls me back and I do whatever she says. I'm easy that way.

Today I thought it would be nice if you could also benefit from our resident expert. I asked Rachie Roo for her best Frump Fighting advice and here's what she had to say:
"Lots of people buy trendy clothes that don't flatter their body. Skinny jeans are a good example. I don't think anyone should wear them, but if you have to you should probably be about 5'9 and weigh 130 lbs.

Ignore trends and sizes and buy what suits your body type. Don't buy jeans too tight that they squeeze you just because you don't want to buy the next size up. (You can always change the tag like Jerry did on Seinfeld!)

I attached some pictures I found. Glamour has a good website for fashion tips and what not if you need some in the future. And Auntie Honey Bunch, you are my favorite."


FASHION "DO"
Dress for your body type.
































But no matter how pretty your bum may be, just don't.

For more Fight Frump tips, Fussy will hook you up.
And don't forget to scroll down for this week's Fiction Friday by Sister Sassy.

What's that? You want to comment? Just click on the itty-bitty words below that say "Gimme Some Sugar". Can you see them? Good. We can't wait to chat with you.

16 comments:

Sister Sassy said...

I think Kate Hudson loooks like she just cleaned her house in her husband's night shirt.

But you're right, I need to stop wearing pants that leave a fat roll hanging over the top.

Valarie Lea said...

Your niece is very right. This is one thing I have to be careful of getting caught up in, trend wear. Since the two oldest are teenagers I tend to buy alot for them, and since me and the oldest can wear the same size on top sometimes I have to take a step back from what I just put on and say "You are not 17 take that off"

Texasholly said...

So true. Although if my butt looked like that, I might be a teeny, weeny bit tempted to show it off...

Thankfully(?) there is no chance of that.

Ashlee said...

Great! Now I have to throw out my swimsuit! :0)

Anonymous said...

How'd you get that picture of me in my red bathing suit? Good job Rach! I miss having you to "run things by" before I go out in public. I could have used your expertise this morning but had to wing it. Knee-high black boots with a black (with tiny pink dots), straight cut dress - is that okay?

Connie said...

I thought you were supposed to dress for the body that you want!! I know I have heard that somewhere!!

Great Post!!!

Anonymous said...

Sister Big/Mom: Sounds pretty hot if you ask me.
HB: Where in the world did you get that picture of me?! But I'm glad I could help my favorite Aunt out..

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! I want to know what to do about transition clothes! Mine are bagging from dieting but I don't want to go buy a bunch of stuff if I actually succeed in the weight loss department. Any suggestions?

Eternal Sunshine said...

"...if my butt looked like that, I might be a teeny, weeny bit tempted to show it off...

LOL! If mine looked that good - I would walk around without pants at all!

All of you can now thank the Heavens that won't be happening! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love that top your niece has on. The lace on the bottom makes it look/feel unique. It doesn't hurt she's gorgeous and has a perfect body type/size either. ;)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Wise words!

Daisy said...

Excellent post! Thanks! Everyone has different rules for what they can and can not wear - and sometimes we have to remember - just because you CAN doesn't mean you should - Prime example - pants with writing on one's arse...

Anonymous said...

I'm with hrh, I think if I had that body I would wear stuff like that all the time. Although, i live in Michigan and would end up with frostbite on my rockin' toosh and then it wouldn't be so rockin' so maybe not.

Great advice. Some trends, like the skinny pant boo to the skinny pant who can wear skinny pants, just were not made for the average woman.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Good advice!! Get that woman a job on the style channel. I hate skinny jeans with a passion, they are so not flattering to emphasize the fact that your arse is indeed the widest part of your body. Proportion people proportion.

Anonymous said...

I will forever be confused about why people buy the up-the-crack bikini bottom. Oh, so confused. :)

Mrs. Fussy Fussypants said...

Great post.

I don't think my bottom looked like that since I was in utero! ;)