Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight!



This weekend the husband and I traveled down to Ft. Wayne to get our broke down car, then back to MI to spend some time with my family. Sister Redd and Sister Big had a nice little get together organized, Sister Aquanetta came over and we had a little early Christmas. It was great fun!

After we left the party and put the exhausted over stimulated kiddos to bed we headed out to watch the much anticipated Twilight. We both read the series and LOVED it. LOOOOVED it!

I had pretty low expectations for the movie. I mean, Cedric Diggory is Edward Cullen? Come on. And Rosalie looked ALL wrong. Not to mention that Jasper looked like something out of a weird Johnny Dep movie (I don't know which one). Besides, in the one trailer I saw I felt like Bella's acting was not so great and...so I wasn't expecting much. Add that to the little Facebook review from my Cousin-in-law that she was disappointed.

Maybe that low expectation was why I loved it so much! Like LOOOOOVED it! I loved the books but I was all about Team Jacob. I just had a hard time getting Bella and Edward's relationship. It seemed so... intangible to me. I understood and felt more compelled by her relationship with Jacob (through most of the books).

But for some reason in the movie I could see the draw, the chemistry and pull they had toward each other much more than the book. Not that I lack imagination, just I think they did a good job with the directing/acting I guess.

I thought Jacob was great. He had only a small part, but I found his acting fresh and real. Of course he's a boy plucked right off the rez, since there aren't many young native actors out there, so he couldn't be anything but fresh. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him in New Moon, which they have already bought the rights for and are getting ready for production.

The Cullens looked...fine. They all looked like they were originally dark haired, dark skinned people wearing too much white face paint and bad blond wigs. And, whats up with Jasper's hair? Seriously. Besides Jasper doesn't utter a word in the movie...unless I missed it completely. Of course he may not utter a word in the first book anyway now that I think about it. It has been a few months since I read that one.

Alice was totally cute and I think I found Emmet the hottest of all the vamps...except for James, who I found pretty hot. But evil.

Anyway, I really loved the movie.

Oh! Just remembered which Johnny Dep movie! Jasper looks like the blond twin of Edward Scissorhands. Don't you think?


Uncanny!
What's that? You want to comment? Just click on the itty-bitty words below that say "Gimme Some Sugar". Can you see them? Good. We can't wait to chat with you.

6 comments:

saintseester said...

My whole book club went last night and we loved it, too! (Except for Jacob - we are trying to figure out how he's going to grow big enough for the 2nd book.) We thought everyone was brilliantly cast. They all had just the right looks. Jasper was the funniest because he looked so terrified to be around people all the time and only those of us who read all the books knew why.

I am all about Team Jacob in the books though.

Sister Sassy said...

I had the same Jacob worry myself. He does need to get big. I guess he better start lifting weights and stuff...

Jen said...

Thanks for the review! I'm still trying to get your Twilight enthusiasm, but this one at least gave me some things I could relate to/understand, which is much better than some of my tween students/children of friends who just look at me with glazed eyes and drool and make sounds like "dreamy" when I ask them about the movie. ;-)

Sister Sassy said...

Lol Jen! So funny. I have to say I really like the others in the series much better. And New Moon seemed to mirror my Relationship with Jim-he was jacob and I was Bella. New Moon is depressing a bit, but power through and it gets very good-then things just get more intense.

Victoria said...

Jasper looked constipated to me.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Oooh I haven't seen it yet, I'm going tonight, but like you my expectations are extremely low!!