Thursday, February 7, 2008

Crank Yankers! (Let's Lighten the Mood, Shall We?)

It's been pretty darned heavy around here lately. Monday we talked about our sick dad who is in the nursing home. Tuesday we had a fabulous discussion about The Mommy Wars and how women heap all kinds of guilt on each other. Wednesday we shared with you about how our family grew up in a cult (Oh yes ma'am. A gen-u-ine documented cult!).

Then I went to Mass and got my forehead ashed so I could contemplate the s
acrifice Jesus made for us by being painfully tortured and nailed to the cross.

Instead of curling up in a ball and not getting out of bed or moping all day long, I decided to have some fun today. (And believe you me. When I saw the bags under my eyes and awful crows feet and nasty brows in this picture, I wanted to cry hard and then go shopping for a veil or two.)

While I was going through some post-partum depression awfulness, my friend Leigh played this skit for me. We were sitting in the conference room at work preparing for a sales meeting. I was secretly listening to it on her ipod as people began gathering in the room and the meeting started.

But then, I was caught. Because, ya'll there is not one delicate thing about me. I snorted. Loudly. People stared at me while I tried to casually turn the thing off and remove it from my ears. But it was worth the humiliation I suffered. It's just that funny. So watch this and enjoy your day.






Every day during Lent, I will be sharing the daily devotion that I created for my family to do during dinner. (Because let's face it, I'm not giving up my Diet Coke or chocolate, so I should be offering up something). I made our Lent Devotional appropriate for children my son's age (5) so that he would be able to relate to the topics we discuss each evening. Here is the devotion we did last night, followed by some chocolatey-good browning baking.

GOD GAVE YOU A POWERFUL SPIRIT

(New Living and The Message)
2 Tim. 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of fear.
He gave us a spirit of power and of love and of self discipline. God doesn't want us to be shy with His gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."

What's that? You want to comment? Just click on the itty-bitty words below that say "Gimme Some Sugar". Can you see them? Good. We can't wait to chat with you.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of offering something up during Lent instead of giving something up. Last year, my priest suggested that I commit to DOING something instead of NOT doing something during Lent, so I gave alms to everyone who asked me. It was very rewarding!

Ashlee said...

I see you as a "bold, loving, sensible" person...so put a check mark next to that one and enjoy those yummy brownies! :0)

dlyn said...

Love me some brownies. And the crank yankers thing is purty funny. Good blog no matter what mood you are in!

Anonymous said...

We are doing things in our community during the lenten time.

You really have to wonder what encouraging my daugther to give up her game boy is going to do in the grand scheme of things, to me not much. So I would rather encourage her to do acts of kindness and think about what it all means.

I think the Church could strike a more modern balance that would take away from giving up something to cause hardship, to doing things that lessen it for others.

I guess the guys in the dresses in Rome need to get in tune with the times.

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

At Mass yesterday, our Priest told the children that instead of giving something up, they should instead do one good deed each day. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sister Sassy said...

hmmmm.... I don't do lent but can I just count not watching TV? :)

Jennifer said...

Oh that is fuuny!! Love your tagline, by the way.

Little Nothings said...

Wait a minute... how did you catch me stalking you two, Sister HB? Is there some stalker tracker I should know about. LOL. Thanks for your kind words Honeybunch! It's nice to know that other women, due to circumstances the same or different are in the same boat I'm floating in! I love the blog and check in everyday for updates! Keep on doing what you do!

Victoria said...

Nice devotional :)

Anonymous said...

Crank Yankers, very very funny. Is that show still on? Its like muppets on crack! Good pick to lighten the mood, HB!